Transitions 2022 will support recent arts graduates and emerging artists* to develop their skills and confidence to forge a career in the arts, and enable them to self-define their outcomes and work through important steps to achieve their goals. The artist mentees will benefit from studio practice time with an expert in their artform/s, learning one-on-one from an established North Queensland artist. Mentees will be matched with mentors based on their skill set/s, interests and availability, and will meet with their mentors fortnightly. Intensive group sessions and constructive artwork critiques will also enable the artists to develop their network and grow from peer and mentor assessments.
At the completion of the program, the artist mentees will receive a free one-year Umbrella membership, which includes the benefit of being eligible to apply for exhibitions. Additional program outcomes will include learning to build a studio practice and portfolio, developing professional artist and exhibition application skills, and exhibiting in a small group exhibition at Perc Tucker Regional Gallery in mid-late 2022.
APPLY BELOW NOW TO BE A MENTEE! There are only 5 places available so this will be a highly competitive application process – please ensure your application is written clearly and includes high-quality images. You may wish to save drafts of the texts for your application in Microsoft Word or similar, to avoid losing your workings in the event of a computer or internet crash.
Please note that Umbrella staff will be on leave 23 December - 16 January inclusive, however applicants may direct enquiries to Umbrella’s Gallery Manager: [email protected] who will be checking emails periodically during the break.
Application deadline: Midnight Tuesday 18 January 2022.
Program dates: February - June 2022
Successful mentee commitments:
- Shortlisted candidates will be invited to an informal interview at Umbrella in the week following the application deadline, then required to attend another meeting with their potential mentor to ensure the pairing is a good fit.
- Mentees must reside in the Townsville City Council region.
- Short surveys to be completed at the start and end of the program, and a program contract agreeing to the below commitments to be signed.
- Mandatory attendance of an intensive introductory and mentorship sessions Friday 4 March - Saturday 5 March 2022.
- 2hrs per fortnight to be spent with the mentor (based on both artists' availabilities).
- 2+hrs per week self-guided studio practice and / or skills development.
- Mandatory attendance of group critique sessions 8:30-9:30am (dates TBC depending on the mentee's availability - 1 in each April, May, June).
- At least one artwork to be resolved by the completion of the program for display in a group exhibition at Perc Tucker Regional Art Gallery.
Apply to be mentored
COVID Safe Visits
Umbrella asks that visitors adhere to social distancing, visitor logs, and other COVID Safe directives and procedures as directed.
Tues - Fri: 9am-5pm
Sat - Sun: 9am-1pm
Gallery closed Mondays, public holidays and during exhibition install weeks.
Follow our social media for updates.
408 Flinders Street,
Townsville, Qld, 4810 Australia
PO Box 2394,
Townsville, Qld, 4810 Australia
Send us a message here
Subscribe to Enews
Acknowledgement of Country
Umbrella Studio Contemporary Arts respectfully acknowledges the Wulgurukaba of Gurambilbarra and Yunbenun and the surrounding groups of our region; Bindal, Gugu Badhan, Nywaigi, Warrgamay, Bandjin and Gudjal as the Traditional Custodians of the land on which we gather, share and celebrate local creative practice. We pay our respects to Elders past, present and emerging. We acknowledge Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders as the first people of Australia. They have never ceded sovereignty and remain strong in their enduring connection to land and Culture.
Umbrella acknowledges the financial support of: the Queensland Government through Arts Queensland, and the Visual Arts and Craft Strategy, an initiative of the Australian, State and Territory Governments. Townsville City Council is proud to support Umbrella's Makerspace operations under its Community Grants program.