Transitions is a program which combines mentorship, critiques and development for emerging visual artists who have recently finished formal arts training. The artist mentees develop their arts practices, gain valuable insights into working professionally and develop their confidence to forge a career in the arts. The program also aims to fill a void in the Townsville arts ecology. Mentees from previous iterations of the program have noted:
“The most beneficial part about completing the Transitions program was that I am creating a new body of work that is unexpected, fresh, and much further advanced than my previous work."
“I am immensely grateful to have been included in the Transitions program. It has given me support to develop my ideas and skills. It has also broadened my knowledge of different artists, both emerging and experienced, in the Townsville area... it has given me confidence to progress my artistic career."
Umbrella and Townsville City Galleries will call for 2024 Transitions mentees in late 2023:
- A free program enabling art skills development and professional development with established artist mentors and gallery professionals
- A small budget allocation for purchasing art materials
- Networking opportunities
- A free one-year Umbrella membership and Townsville City Galleries Friends of the Gallery membership (upon completion of the program)
- Inclusion in a small Transitions group exhibition (likely at Perc Tucker Regional Gallery in 2024)
- Mentees must reside in the Townsville City Council region
- Mentees must complete short surveys at the start and the end of the program and document their progress throughout the program
- Mentees must complete 14-16hrs of contact time with their mentor (allocated approximately fortnightly based on both artists' availabilities)
- Mentees must attend group intensive and critique sessions with Umbrella and Townsville City Galleries staff and guest mentors
- Mentees must also dedicate at least 2hrs weekly to self-guided artwork development
- Mentees should ideally resolve at least one artwork by the completion of the program for display in the group exhibition
COVID Safe Visits
Umbrella asks that visitors adhere to social distancing, visitor logs, and other COVID Safe directives and procedures as directed.
Tues - Fri: 9am-5pm
Sat - Sun: 9am-1pm
Gallery closed Mondays, public holidays and during exhibition install weeks.
Follow our social media for updates.
408 Flinders Street,
Qld, 4810 Australia
PO Box 2394,
Qld, 4810 Australia
Send us a message here
Subscribe to Enews
Acknowledgement of Country
Umbrella Studio Contemporary Arts respectfully acknowledges the Wulgurukaba of Gurambilbarra and Yunbenun and the surrounding groups of our region; Bindal, Gugu Badhan, Nywaigi, Warrgamay, Bandjin and Gudjal as the Traditional Custodians of the land on which we gather, share and celebrate local creative practice. We pay our respects to Elders past, present and emerging. We acknowledge Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders as the first people of Australia. They have never ceded sovereignty and remain strong in their enduring connection to land and Culture.
Umbrella is supported by the Queensland Government through Arts Queensland, part of the Department of Communities, Housing and Digital Economy, and by the Visual Arts and Craft Strategy, an initiative of the Australian, state and territory governments. | Umbrella is supported by the Tim Fairfax Family Foundation and receives funds through the Australian Cultural Fund. | Townsville City Council is a strategic partner of Umbrella's program.