Looking for a space for your next event? Umbrella Studio Contemporary Arts can cater to your needs – whether they are creative, social or corporate. Umbrella is conveniently located within walking distance to most hotels and businesses in the Townsville CBD and near the Townsville Bus Hub. Venue hires may be booked in either space during the gallery’s regular opening hours (Tues-Fri 9am-5pm | Sat-Sun 9am-1pm), however must consider public access to the exhibitions on display. Functions may alternatively be booked for Mondays, weekend afternoons or evenings to guarantee privacy.
Umbrella offers two spaces for hire:
The Umbrella gallery presents a schedule of exhibitions featuring art works from across the North Queensland region, and is a suitable venue for a wide range of activities. Host your cocktail, birthday or Christmas party here, or your networking or team-building function. Hire of this space includes use of the following facilities and equipment:
– Street-front access from Flinders St (next to Mary Who? Bookshop and opposite Woolworths) or via a side-door for accessibility ramp
– Floor area for standing and sitting – up to
150 72 people as per our COVID-safe plan
– Air-conditioning (and floor fans if required)
– Up to 50 chairs, 25 stools (varying heights) and 5 fold-out tables
– Access to small kitchenette facilities (microwave, fridge and bench space)
– Access via stairs to a toilet and wash-basin; alternatively, toilets are available in the Woolworths complex directly across the road
– Free exhibition tours from gallery staff if booked in advance (during opening hours)
– Stairway access toilets and a wash-basin
– During COVID-19 restrictions, Umbrella will provide hand sanitiser throughout the space
– Projector screen or blank wall space
– Access to a water cooler (cups not provided)
The Makerspace is often used for art workshops, community group meetings, short-term artist residencies or other activities. Hire of this space includes use of the following facilities and equipment:
– Access to the space via stairs down through the gallery space (wheelchair access can be arranged in advance via a back entry)
– Floor area – standing and sitting space for up to
50 26 people as per our COVID-safe plan
– Ceiling fans, floor fans if required and fresh air via a side-door
– 2 work benches (taller than regular tables) and approx 15 tall stools
– Up to 50 chairs (by prior booking), 15 small stools and 5 fold-out tables
– Access to a toilet and wash-basin; alternatively, toilets are available in the Woolworths complex directly across the road
– Up to 14 easels (for an additional hire fee)
– Use of printing presses and art materials (for additional hire fees with approved artists, pending review from Umbrella’s Makerspace Facilitators).
COVID Safe Visits
Umbrella asks that visitors adhere to social distancing, visitor logs, and other COVID Safe directives and procedures as directed.
Tues - Fri: 9am-5pm
Sat - Sun: 9am-1pm
Gallery closed Mondays, public holidays and during exhibition install weeks.
Follow our social media for updates.
408 Flinders Street,
Townsville, Qld, 4810 Australia
PO Box 2394,
Townsville, Qld, 4810 Australia
Send us a message here
Subscribe to Enews
Acknowledgement of Country
Umbrella Studio Contemporary Arts respectfully acknowledges the Wulgurukaba of Gurambilbarra and Yunbenun and the surrounding groups of our region; Bindal, Gugu Badhan, Nywaigi, Warrgamay, Bandjin and Gudjal as the Traditional Custodians of the land on which we gather, share and celebrate local creative practice. We pay our respects to Elders past, present and emerging. We acknowledge Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders as the first people of Australia. They have never ceded sovereignty and remain strong in their enduring connection to land and Culture.
Umbrella acknowledges the financial support of: the Queensland Government through Arts Queensland, and the Visual Arts and Craft Strategy, an initiative of the Australian, State and Territory Governments. Townsville City Council is proud to support Umbrella's Makerspace operations under its Community Grants program.