Power: 2021 Umbrella Members’ Exhibition & Bamford Medical Prize
One exhibition each year is for our artist members to participate and display their artwork. This years’ Members Exhibition has been scheduled for 26 November - 19 December 2021. The exhibition theme Power asks members to be inspired by concepts of politics, social status, electricity, familial relationships or any other interpretation of that term. The exhibition features a $1000 Art Prize generously sponsored by Bamford Medical, and this year, a $500 Light Through a Lens Photomedia Prize generously sponsored by Al Green.
Entries are now open. Artists must be current Umbrella members to participate in this exhibition - click here to join online. Current members with eligible entries are automatically accepted. To ensure your entry is eligible, ensure you read the full conditions of entry listed – particularly regarding the artwork size, date parameters and commission rate. Complete the form to submit your entry and check that you receive a confirmation note.
Entries close: midnight Monday 1 November 2021
Artwork delivery: Friday 19 November, Saturday 20 November, or Sunday 21 November (during Umbrella’s regular opening hours)
Exhibition opening launch: 6pm Friday 26 November 2021
Exhibition Duration: 26 November - 19 December 2021
Collection of artworks: Monday 20 - Tuesday 21 December 2021 or Saturday 29 - Sunday 30 January 2022 (during opening hours)
- Firstly, ensure you draft your application in a Word Document. This will ensure that you have it as a back up if your computer or technology with the online form glitches.
- Ensure all fields of the form marked with * are completed - these are mandatory fields and your application will not submit without them.
- Proofread your application and get a colleague or friend to read through it. Does it make sense to them?
- Include a high quality photograph of your artworks. Consider hiring a professional photographer. Even if you are not successful in your application, you will have the photo to use and promote your artwork.
CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
1. All entrants must be financial members of Umbrella Studio for the duration of the exhibition.
2a. A completed Entry Form must be submitted no later than midnight Monday 1 November 2021 to be eligible for the exhibition.
2b. If artists submit multiple Entry Forms, their most recent submission will be accepted as their application. Please limit your submissions though!
3. Only one artwork is accepted per artist. It must be a singular artwork (ie. not a diptych, triptych or one work split over four canvases). It must not be a multiple or edition.
4. Size Restriction: Entries must be no larger than 1.5m x 1.5m x 1.5m in size.
5. Artwork Date Parameters: Entries must have been created in the last two years (2020 or 2021).
6. All hanging entries must be ready for display with “D” rings securely attached, 5-8cm from top of work (or top third of the work for large works). Weight restrictions will apply for heavy hanging artworks – contact Umbrella for more information and please list the weight of your artwork in your entry if it will be heavier than 10kg. Please also list if your work will require a plinth / shelf or media player. Umbrella will endeavour to give first preference to artworks which have requested these details in advance, however cannot guarantee this for all artworks.
7. Entries must be the original and unaided work of the entrant.
8. Works may be done in any medium but the theme of ‘Power’ must be incorporated into the piece.
9. Umbrella reserves the right to not include entries that are inappropriate, offensive or those that do not fit the conditions of entry.
10. All artworks must be delivered with a label attached clearly identifying the piece and its full artwork details.
11. All artworks must be delivered on Friday 19 November (9am-5pm), Saturday 20 November (9am-1pm), or Sunday 21 November (9am-1pm) 2021. By prior arrangement with Umbrella staff (and only due to extenuating circumstances), works may be accepted prior to these dates.
12. Works must be delivered to Umbrella Studio Contemporary Arts at 408 Flinders Street, Townsville QLD 4810 (next to Mary Who? Bookshop and opposite Woolworths).
13. Arrangement and expenses pertaining to the delivery and collection of entries are the responsibility of the entrant.
14. If the completed artwork is not received by Umbrella by 1pm Sunday 21 November 2021, the entry will be terminated.
15. No works are to be removed during the exhibition period (including the final day Sunday 19 December 2021) unless authorized by Umbrella in advance with written notice. Umbrella retains the sole right to remove any works from the exhibition.
16. Umbrella exercises all due care in exhibiting and handling entries. However, works shall at all times remain at the risk of the entrant. Umbrella will not be responsible for loss or damage whatsoever to any work whilst in its custody. Each entrant is responsible for maintaining their own insurance cover if required.
17. Works will be on display at Umbrella from Friday 26 November – Sunday 19 December 2021.
18. All works must be collected from Umbrella Monday 20 December 2021 (9am-5pm), Tuesday 21 December 2021 (9am-5pm), Saturday 29 January 2022 (9am-1pm), or Sunday 30 January 2022 (9am-1pm). Due to storage constraints, if works are not collected by these dates, works may be disposed of at Umbrella’s discretion.
19. If Umbrella sells the work on behalf of the Artist, they will receive a payment less 40% commission. Payment to the artist will be made within 30 days after the artwork collection date. The artist must provide a price for their artwork which takes into consideration Umbrella commission, and GST if applicable.
20. A full, completed image of the artwork must be uploaded as part of the application process.
21. The artist grants Umbrella permission to use photos of their artwork for publicity, including images uploaded as part of the entry and those taken by Umbrella Studio Contemporary Arts and its associates.