2023 Umbrella Members’ Exhibition
One exhibition each year enables our artist members to participate and exhibit their work. The next Members' Exhibition has been scheduled for 29 September - 29 October 2023. The exhibition will again feature prominent prizes including (TBC):
$1,000 Art Award proudly sponsored by Bamford Medical,
$500 People's Choice prize sponsored by TownsvilleTV, and
$500 Light Through a Lens Photomedia Prize sponsored by Garricks Camera House.
Entries will open when we announce the theme in early 2023.
We look forward to receiving your creative responses!
Artists must be current Umbrella members to participate in this exhibition - click here to join online. Current members with eligible entries are automatically accepted and qualify for consideration in both the Art Award and People's Choice Prize. To qualify for the Light Through a Lens Photomedia Prize, artworks must have been captured through a lens of any type (i.e. video or photography camera, analogue or digital), however the medium, materials, and method are otherwise up to the artist. To ensure your entry is completely eligible, ensure you read the full updated conditions of entry listed – particularly regarding the artwork size, date parameters and commission rate. Complete the form below to submit your entry and check that you receive a confirmation note.
Entries close: TBC
Artwork delivery: TBC
Exhibition opening launch: 6pm Friday 29 September 2023
Exhibition Duration: 29 September - 29 October 2023
Collection of artworks: TBC
- Firstly, ensure you draft your application in a Word Document. This will ensure that you have it as a back up if your computer or technology with the online form glitches.
- Ensure all fields of the form marked with * are completed - these are mandatory fields and your application will not submit without them.
- Proofread your application and get a colleague or friend to read through it. Does it make sense to them?
- Include a high quality photograph of your artworks. Consider hiring a professional photographer. Even if you are not successful in your application, you will have the photo to use and promote your artwork.
CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
1. All entrants must be financial members of Umbrella Studio Contemporary Arts for the duration of the exhibition.
2. A completed Entry Form must be submitted no later than midnight Sunday 6 November 2022 to be eligible for the exhibition.
3. If artists submit multiple Entry Forms, their most recent submission will be accepted as their application. Please limit your submissions though!
4. Only one artwork is accepted per artist. It must be a singular artwork and have only one title and one price.
5. Size restriction: Artworks must not exceed 1.5m in any dimension (h x w x d). If the work has multiple parts the parts must fit completely within that size restriction.
6. Artwork date parameters: Entries must have been created in the last two years (2021 or 2022) and must be new work that has not been exhibited at Umbrella or elsewhere in North Queensland.
7. All hanging entries must be ready for display with “D” rings securely attached, 5-8cm from top of work (or top third of the work for large works). Weight restrictions will apply for heavy hanging artworks – contact Umbrella for more information and please list the weight of your artwork in your entry if it will be heavier than 10kg. Please also list if your work will require a plinth / shelf or media player. Umbrella will endeavour to give first preference to artworks which have requested these details in advance, however cannot guarantee this for all artworks.
8. Entries must be the original and unaided work of the entrant.
9. Works may be done in any medium but the listed theme must be incorporated into the piece.
10. Umbrella reserves the right to not include entries that are inappropriate, offensive or those that do not fit the conditions of entry.
11. All artworks must be delivered with a label attached clearly identifying the piece and its full artwork details.
12. All artworks must be delivered within the outlined dates. By prior arrangement with Umbrella's Gallery Manager and Curator (and only due to extenuating circumstances), works may be accepted prior to these dates.
13. Works must be delivered to Umbrella Studio Contemporary Arts at 408 Flinders Street, Townsville QLD 4810 (next to Mary Who? Bookshop and opposite Woolworths).
14. Arrangement and expenses pertaining to the delivery and collection of entries are the responsibility of the entrant. If the artist is organising for someone else to deliver the work, please let Umbrella staff know in advance.
15. If the completed artwork is not received by the deadline, the entry will be terminated.
16. No works are to be removed during the exhibition period (including the final exhibition day). Umbrella retains the sole right to remove any works from the exhibition.
17. Umbrella exercises all due care in exhibiting and handling entries. However, works shall at all times remain at the risk of the entrant. Umbrella will not be responsible for loss or damage whatsoever to any work whilst in its custody. Each entrant is responsible for maintaining their own insurance cover if required.
18. Works will be on display at Umbrella during the listed exhibition dates and may be promoted before, during and after this time.
19. All works must be collected from Umbrella Monday 19 or Tuesday 20 December 2022 (during Umbrella's regular opening hours). Due to Umbrella's holiday closure thereafter, any remaining works will go into storage then works may be disposed of at Umbrella’s discretion in early 2024 if not arranged to be collected. If the artist is organising for someone else to collect the work, please let Umbrella staff know in advance.
20. If Umbrella sells the work on behalf of the Artist, they will receive a payment less 40% commission. Payment to the artist will be made within 30 days after the artwork collection date. The artist must provide a price for their artwork which takes into consideration Umbrella commission, and GST if applicable.
21. A full, completed image of the artwork must be uploaded as part of the application process.
22. The artist grants Umbrella permission to use photos of their artwork for publicity, including images uploaded as part of the entry and those taken by Umbrella Studio Contemporary Arts and its associates.
23. Current members whose work adheres to all above terms and conditions constitute an eligible entry, are automatically accepted, and qualify for consideration in both the Art Award and People's Choice Prize.
24. To qualify for the Light Through a Lens Photomedia Prize, artworks must have been captured through a lens of any type (i.e. video or photography camera, analogue or digital), however the medium, materials, and method are otherwise up to the artist.
25. Umbrella's staff and board may enter works but they are ineligible for prizes in this exhibition.