Umbrella is currently calling for enthusiastic, reliable volunteers. From time-to-time Umbrella also accepts interns, trainees and work experience students.
Opportunities exist for individuals to participate as volunteers in all areas of Umbrella’s operations, thus receiving valuable industry experience and professional guidance in all aspects of contemporary visual arts.
Volunteer responsibilities and tasks can include:
- Welcoming visitors into Umbrella's gallery space
- Gallery invigilation
- Front desk reception
- Handling sales in Umbrella's gallery shop
- Recording daily gallery attendance
- Assisting with exhibition installations and demounts
- Event assistance
Volunteer opportunities at Umbrella
- Engage regularly with our art and creative projects
- Boost your network and make new like-minded friends at Umbrella's events such as exhibition openings and artist talks
- Learn new skills by completing inductions in administration and exhibition installations
- Work with nationally recognised artists and see behind the scenes of a professional art gallery
- Enhance your resume with experience working in tourism & events, administration, marketing, visual arts and retail.
Apply to Volunteer
COVID Safe Visits
Umbrella asks that visitors adhere to social distancing, visitor logs, and other COVID Safe directives and procedures as directed.
Tues - Fri: 9am-5pm
Sat - Sun: 9am-1pm
Gallery closed Mondays, public holidays and during exhibition install weeks.
Follow our social media for updates.
408 Flinders Street,
Qld, 4810 Australia
PO Box 2394,
Qld, 4810 Australia
Send us a message here
Subscribe to Enews
Acknowledgement of Country
Umbrella Studio Contemporary Arts respectfully acknowledges the Wulgurukaba of Gurambilbarra and Yunbenun and the surrounding groups of our region; Bindal, Gugu Badhan, Nywaigi, Warrgamay, Bandjin and Gudjal as the Traditional Custodians of the land on which we gather, share and celebrate local creative practice. We pay our respects to Elders past, present and emerging. We acknowledge Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders as the first people of Australia. They have never ceded sovereignty and remain strong in their enduring connection to land and Culture.
Umbrella is a Dealer Member of the Indigenous Art Code. This means we are committed to fair and ethical trade with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander artists, and transparency in the promotion and sale of artwork. As a Dealer Member and signatory to the Code we must act fairly, honestly, professionally and in good conscience in all direct or indirect dealings with artists.
Umbrella is supported by the Queensland Government through Arts Queensland, part of the Department of Communities, Housing and Digital Economy, and by the Visual Arts and Craft Strategy, an initiative of the Australian, state and territory governments. | Umbrella is supported by the Tim Fairfax Family Foundation and receives funds through the Australian Cultural Fund. | Townsville City Council is a funding partner of Umbrella's program.