'Experience the wonder ~ shadow play, story-telling and characters come to life.'
Follow artist Katya Venter's journey into the theatrical unknown. The Wonder World presents a site-specific installation of large plexiglass figures, lights, projections and found objects. Witness her characters come alive through the magic of shadow-puppet shows, shadow theatre workshops changing narratives and digital media animation.
About the Artist
Katya Venter is a Townsville based artist who draws inspiration from anatomical drawings, paper folding and cutting, puppets and the oddities she finds in the world around her. Venter likes to use the cabinet of curiosity as a metaphor for societal change around concepts of body shape, health and image.
Shadow Theatre Workshop - Katyer Venter
$15 per person | 2hrs | 8 participants | 10-17yrs with adult supervision and 18+
12-2pm Saturday 31 July 2021
4-6pm Friday 6 August 2021
12-2pm Saturday 7 August 2021
Create an easy shadow theatre and puppets and learn about the basics of storytelling in this enticing workshop. Artist Katya Venter will guide children and adults to fold, glue and assemble paper into the structure of a theatre stage. Participants will then combine different shapes to create two characters to play with and animate using shadows and a story. Participants can also take their theatre stage and characters home with them.
336 Flinders St, Townsville CBD, QLD 4810
This venue’s conditions include:
- Nearby accessible parking.
- Nearby accessible public transport (bus stations).
- Accessible third-party scooter options throughout CBD city centre (for travel).
- Nearby street drop-off points.
- Wheelchair accessibility.
- An accessible entrance (both ramp and stairs) and no obstructions to the path upon entering.
- Signage indicating it is a PUNQ program.
- Venue is close to accessible public bathroom facilities that offer wider doors, adequate floor space to move around in the bathroom, and fixtures designed for comfort including hand railings and low-effort tap handles (in Flinders Square).
- Quiet spaces available for participants, this location will have ambient or no music playing.
- There are nearby animal rest facilities (in Flinders Square).
- Venues have been strategically designed for clear pathways throughout with a focus on minimising clutter.
- If participating in workshops, interactions, or artist talks at a pop up there will be an array of seating options provided.
Fri 4-6pm, Sat and Sun 9am-2pm