'Everyday objects reimagined from different perspectives.'
Take a seat and appreciate the works of famous artists, reimagined and stylised by the prolific and quirky artist Jan Hynes. Sit on Art features chairs which have been modified to represent a particular artist’s painting style, temperament, or recognisable motif. Many of the chairs incorporate a Townsville or Magnetic Island icon.
This project was drawn from Hynes' interest in appropriating and reinterpreting art styles on everyday objects or sculptures. She began wondering how different artists would style their own chairs. Hynes reflects upon chairs as familiar parts of life in homes, schools, offices, transportation and entertainment venues.
About the Artist
Jan Hynes lives and creates paintings and sculptures in Townsville. Hynes’ spirit of fun and quirkiness is palpable to all who have viewed her work. The artist often makes reference to well known art and artists as a way of linking Townsville art to a wider world and art history.
Flinders Lane, Top Level, 376-378 Flinders Street, Townsville 4810.
This venue’s conditions include:
- Nearby accessible parking.
- Nearby accessible public transport (bus stations).
- Accessible third-party scooter options throughout CBD city centre (for travel).
- Nearby street drop-off points.
- Wheelchair accessibility.
- An accessible entrance (both ramp and stairs) and no obstructions to the path upon entering.
- Signage indicating it is a PUNQ program.
- Venue is close to accessible public bathroom facilities that offer wider doors, adequate floor space to move around in the bathroom, and fixtures designed for comfort including hand railings and low-effort tap handles (in Flinders Square).
- Quiet spaces available for participants, this location will have ambient or no music playing.
- There are nearby animal rest facilities (in Flinders Square).
- Venues have been strategically designed for clear pathways throughout with a focus on minimising clutter.
- If participating in workshops, interactions, or artist talks at a pop up there will be an array of seating options provided.
Mon-Thurs 11am - 5pm
Fri 11am - 7pm
Sat 9am - 2pm
Sun 9am - 5pm