'Golden artworks ~ golden history.'
Consider the purity of your gold as you enter a former assay room now filled with local artwork. The Don Roderick Assay Room Gallery at the rear of the historic Stock Exchange Arcade engages viewers with the 'golden' history of Charters Towers. The artists featured are National Trust Australia (Queensland) volunteers, which enables visitors the opportunity to discuss aspects of art and to hear more about the assay process which entailed measuring the purity of items containing gold. Gold jewellery, ornaments, postcards, photo cards and other artistic works are also available as interesting gifts and souvenirs.
About the Artist
The Don Roderick Assay Room Gallery features artist members who work in a variety of traditional mediums including oils, pastels, watercolours, charcoal and acrylics. The gallery also displays contemporary works by local potters, wood turners and photographers.
Sunset Viewing - Don Roderick Assay Room Gallery
FREE | 1.5hrs
5:30-7pm Friday 6 August 2021
Bask in the ambience of the setting sun and soft lamp lighting in The Don Roderick Assay Room Gallery within the Stock Exchange Arcade. This unique setting is heightened by the ambience of the former assay room-come-gallery. Peacefully contemplate in this special viewing amidst the historical surrounds or drop in for clay and life drawing demonstrations as well as a poetry ready.
76 Mosman Street, Stock Exchange Arcade, Charters Towers Queensland 4820.
This venue’s conditions include:
- Nearby accessible parking at the rear off Rutherford Lane.
- Nearby accessible public transport (bus stations).
- Nearby street drop-off points.
- Wheelchair accessibility with assistance, ramp into the Stock Exchange Arcade from the back gate, across grassed lawn and then into Gallery.
- An accessible entrance (both ramp and stairs) and no obstructions to the path upon entering.
- Signage indicating it is a PUNQ program.
- Venue is close to accessible public bathroom facilities that offer wider doors, adequate floor space to move around in the bathroom, and fixtures designed for comfort including hand railings and low-effort tap handles.
- Quiet spaces available for participants, this location will have ambient or no music playing.
- There are nearby animal rest facilities.
- Venues have been strategically designed for clear pathways throughout with a focus on minimising clutter.
- If participating in workshops, interactions, or artist talks at a pop up there will be an array of seating options provided.
Sat and Sun 10am-2pm