'Discover one of North Queensland's best-kept secrets.'
Uncover a nationally-significant First Nations art collection when you explore The Mike Carney Creative Industries Centre. The gallery and creative space boasts works by artists including Thomas Tjapaltjarri and Dick Roughsey. Join the centre to explore their acclaimed and diverse examples of work from many regions of Australia. The centre also aims to acknowledge and support the local Gudjal people and artists of the region.
The Looking Widely exhibition features First Nations artists from two very different regions - the Central Desert and Mornington Island. The artworks included showcase the unique styles prominent to those regions.
Looking Widely will be open from 30 July to 30 August 10am - 3pm at the Mike Carney Creative Industries Centre.
About the Artist
The Mike Carney Creative Industries Centre is a not-for-profit, social-enterprise-driven creative space. The multi-roomed centre is home to a gallery, shop, workshop space and venue for exhibitions, Q&A nights, events, training and activities. The centre provides a safe and stimulating place for creatives, community groups and industry experts to showcase their work and access professional development, training, workshops and meetings. The creatives and organisers identify with the concept that creativity changes lives and communities.
Mike Carney Creative Industries Centre, 96-98 Mosman St, Charters Towers Queensland 4820.
This venue’s conditions include:
- Nearby accessible parking.
- Nearby accessible public transport (bus stations).
- Nearby street drop-off points.
- Assisted wheelchair accessibility.
- An accessible entrance (both ramp and stairs) and no obstructions to the path upon entering.
- Signage indicating it is a PUNQ program.
- Venue is close to accessible private bathroom facilities that offer wider doors, adequate floor space to move around in the bathroom, and fixtures designed for comfort including hand railings and low-effort tap handles.
- Quiet spaces available for participants, this location will have ambient or no music playing.
- Venues have been strategically designed for clear pathways throughout with a focus on minimising clutter.
- If participating in workshops, interactions, or artist talks at a pop up there will be an array of seating options provided.
Mike Carney Creative Industries Centre open from Open from Mon - Friday 10am-3pm and Saturday 1-3pm.