'Fall in love with handmade ceramics ~ from wheel-thrown and hand-built functional ware to intricate sculptural work.'
Engage with the earth in this beautiful display of diverse clay work. Kilnfolk is a pop up presented by the artisans and enthusiastic potters of the North Queensland Potters Association. Wander amongst their collection of ceramics including wheel-thrown and hand-built functional wares for everyday use, to intricate sculptural and slab-built displays. Glimpse further into the world of ceramics with live demonstrations of the various pottery techniques used to create the works for sale.
About the Artist
The North Queensland Potters’ Association (NQPA) Inc was established in 1972 to promote ceramics throughout the region. NQPA own their premises in Railway Estate where they provide a well-equipped studio for members, pottery classes and workshops for the community. The NQPA members are potters, makers and ceramicists – a mix of throwers and hand builders who use different methods of making.
Hand-building Flatware Workshop - Baylee Griffin
$30 per person | 2hrs | 8 participants | 15+
10am-12pm Saturday 31 July 2021
10am-12pm Saturday 7 August 2021
Set the table with your own hand-built ceramic flatware. Join Baylee Griffin from the North Queensland Potters Association to create a range of handmade items including dishes, plates, trays, platters and salt dishes. Focus on the free-form and organic qualities that hand-building can offer without the need for a pottery wheel.
Participants are encouraged to bring their own aprons. All other materials (including the stoneware clay) will be provided, however additional costs may be paid to the artist if bisque and glaze firing the work is required.
Pinch Pot Workshop - Margaret Crawford
$30 per person | 2hrs | 8 participants | 18+
9am-11am Sunday 1 August
Immerse your fingers into a ball of clay and pinch your own pinch pot. This simple form of handmade pottery enables participants to create ornamental or small functional ware. Margaret Crawford from the North Queensland Potters Association will draw on her wealth of experience to guide attendees.
Participants are encouraged to bring their own aprons. All other materials will be provided, however additional costs may be paid to the artist if bisque and glaze firing the work is required.
Artist Talk - Margaret Crawford
FREE | 30mins | 8 participants
11am Tuesday 3 August
Join the North Queensland Potters Association to hear from Margaret Crawford a discussion about ceramics and making artwork and functional ware from clay. The artist will talk about the different techniques and processes involved in producing pottery from handbuilding to wheel throwing, decoration and glazing.
100 Pounandai Peaks Artist Talk - Baylee Griffin
FREE | 30mins | 8 participants
10:30am Sunday 8 August 2021
Hear from artist Baylee Griffin about her body of 100 wheel-thrown and hand-carved ceramic vases. Griffin will speak about the creation of the work and their relation to the magnificent Hinchinbrook Island. The artist will also demonstrate on the pottery wheel, throwing the unique shape that is seen repeated throughout the installation.
Northtown, 280 Flinders St, Townsville CBD, 4810
This venue’s conditions include:
- Nearby accessible parking.
- Nearby accessible public transport (bus stations).
- Accessible third-party scooter options throughout CBD city centre (for travel).
- Nearby street drop-off points.
- Wheelchair accessibility.
- An accessible entrance (both ramp and stairs) and no obstructions to the path upon entering.
- Signage indicating it is a PUNQ program.
- Venue is close to accessible public bathroom facilities that offer wider doors, adequate floor space to move around in the bathroom, and fixtures designed for comfort including hand railings and low-effort tap handles (in Flinders Square).
- Quiet spaces available for participants, this location will have ambient or no music playing.
- There are nearby animal rest facilities (in Flinders Square).
- Venues have been strategically designed for clear pathways throughout with a focus on minimising clutter.
- If participating in workshops, interactions, or artist talks at a pop up there will be an array of seating options provided.
$30 per person / 8 people per workshop.