Reflect and respond.'
Discover artist Al Green's engagement with Zen traditions in his: Ensō & Photo Haiku pop up. This immersive exhibition will demonstrate the complementary relationship between the ensō, the haiku poem and the photo image when combined for display.
About the Artist
Al Green is an experimental mixed-media artist and photographer based in Townsville. He uses digital imaging, ink and words to explore his creative ideas. Green's recent work has gravitated toward Zen inspired themes, particularly those centred on impermanence and imperfection.
Ensō Workshop - Al Green
$25 per person | 1hr | 8 participants | 18+
3:30-4:30pm Saturday 31 July to Sunday 8 August 2021
Clear your mind for creativity and let stress and worry evaporate in this simple painting workshop. The art form of ensō involves hand-painting an imperfect circle with a single, fluid action and in a single breath. Al Green will discuss the history and philosophy behind ensō and demonstrate the act. The artist will then guide participants to use brush and ink to create their own ensō.
Photo Haiku Workshop - Al Green
FREE | Daily drop-in | 8 visitors maximum | 18+
Explore the traditions and essential structural aspects of haiku poetry with photographer Al Green. Traditionally, wood-block prints were used to illustrate the words, however Green will guide participants to combine digital image-making processes with their haikus in this unique take on the art form. Participants should bring their own smart phone or digital camera.
390 Flinders St, Townsville CBD, QLD 4810
This venue’s conditions include:
- Nearby accessible parking.
- Nearby accessible public transport (bus stations).
- Accessible third-party scooter options throughout CBD city centre (for travel).
- Nearby street drop-off points.
- Wheelchair accessibility.
- An accessible entrance (both ramp and stairs) and no obstructions to the path upon entering.
- Signage indicating it is a PUNQ program.
- Venue is close to accessible public bathroom facilities that offer wider doors, adequate floor space to move around in the bathroom, and fixtures designed for comfort including hand railings and low-effort tap handles (in Flinders Square).
- Quiet spaces available for participants, this location will have ambient or no music playing.
- There are nearby animal rest facilities (in Flinders Square).
- Venues have been strategically designed for clear pathways throughout with a focus on minimising clutter.
- If participating in workshops, interactions, or artist talks at a pop up there will be an array of seating options provided.
Mon-Thurs 11am - 5pm
Fri 11am - 7pm
Sat 9am - 2pm
Sun 9am - 5pm