'An artistic journey from the north to the north.'
Follow artist Jan Malkin's journey from the north of England to North Queensland in her pop up exhibition A Sense of Place. The artist reveals a glimpse into her exploration of diverse subjects, styles and mediums through an emotional lens. Malkin has told her story through art and she will guide visitors along her journey in the Old School House. Information about the school will also be provided as the context of place is pertinent in the historical and beautiful setting.
About the Artist
Jan Malkin is an experimental artist based on Yunbenun / Magnetic Island. She is always searching for new ways to express herself and to capture the depth of feelings in colour, shapes and texture. Malkin has exhibited in solo and group exhibitions in North Queensland and the UK and joined many art groups on her travels. In the Pilbara she was nominated for an Australia Day award for her contribution to art in the community.
Belonging Workshop - Jan Malkin
$90 per person | 5hrs | 8 participants | 18+
10am-3pm Sunday 1 August 2021
10am-3pm Friday 6 August 2021
Discover your sense of belonging in this mindfulness and mixed-media art workshop. Artist Jan Malkin will lead a short meditation session to centre the participants and help them discover their own special place of being. This will be followed by a paper collage on canvas board art activity, lunch at Bungalow Bay Koala Village and an acrylic and mixed-media on canvas workshop. All art materials, tea, coffee and lunch will be provided.
Please note there are 14 steps up to the Old School House (next to Magnetic Island's Butterfly Walk) where the workshop will take place. Toilet facilities are at Bungalow Bay Koala Village, just a few minutes walk away.
Koala Workshop - Jan Malkin
Free | Drop-ins after 1pm | 8 participants | 5+ with parental supervision
Saturday 31 July, Monday 2 - Thursday 5 August, Saturday 7 and Sunday 8 August
Craft your own koala card in this workshop for youngsters with koala-fied artist Jan Malkin. Participants will cut, stick and create their pieces to take home for themselves or someone special.
The Old School House, 13 Heath St, Horseshoe Bay.
This venue’s conditions include:
- Nearby accessible parking.
- Nearby accessible public transport (bus stations).
- Nearby street drop-off points.
- Not wheelchair accessible, there are 14 steps up to the Old School House building.
- An accessible entrance (both ramp and stairs) and no obstructions to the path upon entering.
- Signage indicating it is a PUNQ program.
- Venue is close to accessible public bathroom facilities that offer wider doors, adequate floor space to move around in the bathroom, and fixtures designed for comfort including hand railings and low-effort tap handles.
- Quiet spaces available for participants, this location will have ambient or no music playing.
- Venues have been strategically designed for clear pathways throughout with a focus on minimising clutter.
- If participating in workshops, interactions, or artist talks at a pop up there will be an array of seating options provided.
Saturday 31 July 10am-3pm
Sunday 1 August 12pm-3pm
Monday 2 - Thursday 5 August 10am-3pm
Friday 6 August 12-3pm
Saturday 7 and Sunday 8 August 10am-3pm