Umbrella is a not for profit members based contemporary visual arts organisation located in Townsville North Queensland; one of the few located outside of a capital city. We offer a program of exhibitions, multi-media, performance art, workshops, artist talks and associated events. Umbrella also provides industry advocacy policies and planning as well as assisting state and federal agencies to engage directly with contemporary visual artists.
Our growing membership is made up of artists, curators, writers, and a diverse range of arts lovers from our region, around Australia and overseas.
By becoming a member of Umbrella, you will enjoy the following benefits:
- Access to purchase exclusive annual Print Commission at members’ pricing
- Participate in our annual Members’ Exhibition
- Discounts on Umbrella-produced workshops and events
- 10% off framing at Top Frames picture framers
- Ability to join The Studio Access Group (for an additional fee)
- Voting rights at our Annual General Meeting
- Be a part of a leading community based contemporary arts organisation
- Issues of our eNewsletter which includes invitations to all exhibition openings, workshops, artist talks and events
- Eligibility to apply to exhibit at Umbrella Studio Contemporary Arts
- Potential inclusion on the Umbrella Board
- Access to professional support services including auspiced grants
- Reasonable rates for venue hire and hiring the printing presses and Makerspace
To renew, log in using your existing membership email, and then choose one of the membership options at the button below. If it is your first time logging in on our new website, you may be invited to create a new password for your account. Click the little account button (to the left of shopping cart button) to log in.
New members please join below!
Please note that the concession price is for full time students, full time carers and anyone on the aged pension.
COVID Safe Visits
Umbrella asks that visitors adhere to social distancing, visitor logs, and other COVID Safe directives and procedures as directed.
Tues - Fri: 9am-5pm
Sat - Sun: 9am-1pm
Gallery closed Mondays, public holidays and during exhibition install weeks.
Follow our social media for updates.
408 Flinders Street,
Qld, 4810 Australia
PO Box 2394,
Qld, 4810 Australia
Send us a message here
Subscribe to Enews
Acknowledgement of Country
Umbrella Studio Contemporary Arts respectfully acknowledges the Wulgurukaba of Gurambilbarra and Yunbenun and the surrounding groups of our region; Bindal, Gugu Badhan, Nywaigi, Warrgamay, Bandjin and Gudjal as the Traditional Custodians of the land on which we gather, share and celebrate local creative practice. We pay our respects to Elders past, present and emerging. We acknowledge Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders as the first people of Australia. They have never ceded sovereignty and remain strong in their enduring connection to land and Culture.
Umbrella is supported by the Queensland Government through Arts Queensland, part of the Department of Communities, Housing and Digital Economy, and by the Visual Arts and Craft Strategy, an initiative of the Australian, state and territory governments. | Umbrella is supported by the Tim Fairfax Family Foundation and receives funds through the Australian Cultural Fund. | Townsville City Council is a strategic partner of Umbrella's program.